Pacifier or we can say Binky, is one of way on soothing your baby. Beyond nutrition, sucking often has a calming effect for the baby. When Lil K was two month old, I'm having difficulty getting him to sleep and staying asleep for longer than half an hour for about few days. I decided to give a try to get him a pacifier and apparently it worked like a charm. The shape of pacifier it self resembles like mother's nipple, and it can help the baby to relax and fall asleep.
Beside that, there's few benefit of pacifier:
- According to The American Academy of Paediatrics (PPA), pacifier can protect the baby from SIDS ( Sudden Infant Death Syndrome). Let your baby enjoy the pacifier like lullaby when he's in deep sleep or his mouth open don't put back the pacifier back.
- Pacifiers provide distraction, buying you time to make a bottle or finish a phone call before nursing. A pacifier can also work wonders while baby's getting shots.
- The pacifier habit is much easier to break than thumb sucking- simply throw away those binkies when it's time.
However every pros must have contras:
- If you breastfeeding you may want to wait to try it on as it may cause a nipple confusion and affecting your milk supply. I suggests you wait until your baby has learned well to latch on and your milk supply is well established.
- Using a pacifier may increase the incidence of ear infections.
- Using a pacifier for too long may result in problems with the development of the teeth and gums.
Moms, the decision is on you and the baby, of course. But if you decide to use pacifier, please bear in mind that, if your baby like the binky, that's ok but if he doesn't like it, don't force them. Make sure to buy one that states the same age on the label as your child's age. Just follow your instinct mommy...